Race to the Nugget
A question to get you started.
This is not the entire task, just a starting point. See where it takes you!
Race to the Nugget is a game for two players and is played on a grid of squares.
The playing board is seen below.
Game play is governed by the following rules:
- Each player has a mark, either a O or a X.
- One player starts by placing their mark in the ‘START’ square. This person is known as Player 1.
- The other player, known as Player 2, then places their mark in one of the three squares touching the ‘START’ square. They have 15 seconds to make their move.
- The players then take it in turns placing their mark in a square that is either
- one-right or
- one-up or
- Play continues until one player places their mark on the gold nugget. That player is the winner. Before the start of the game, a coin is tossed and the winner can either choose to be Player 1 or Player 2.
Can you become Master-of-RTTN?
Source: Adapted from Mason et al.
Here are some ideas students have had while working on this problem.
You may find inspiration in their ideas!
This is a list of questions you can ask yourself or your students while working on this problem.
Naturally this isn't a complete list, but it will take you down one path.
This section will give you hints on some parts of the problem.
Expanding a section will reveal potential spoilers. If you only want a small hint, tread carefully.
What are you stuck on?
This section contains a "complete" path through this problem.
It covers only one path of many that could be taken, and there are still plenty of unanswered questions.
If you haven't tried the problem for yourself yet, and don't want it spoiled, don't read this section!